Friday, October 5, 2012

Pick a Side, any Side

Fancy desserts, main courses, those are fairly easy.
The hard stuff for me often times are the sides.
Trying to be creative and avoid repetitiveness.
If you grew up like me, sides were pretty standard.
Delicious, but standard-ish.
Mashed potatoes, rice, green beans, peas...
you get the idea.

From time to time my mother would
serve sliced carrots that she had cooked
with a little butter and brown sugar.
Anyone cooking carrots that way?
I tried really hard to like them.  I did.
And I guess I really shouldn't bawk about them,
because I didn't really care for many veggies at all
growing up.  So I don't mean to diss the carrots.
I will say that carrots and potatoes cooked together
with a roast was one way I could eat up some carrots.

Finding this week's recipe was like finding a treasure.
Roasted carrots are so yummy!
Roasting almost any veggie is my newest favorite thing.
We roast cabbage, fresh green beans,
asparagus, butternut squash, zucchini,
brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli -
it is so easy to do and the taste is always amazing.

Roasting baby carrots are awesome
and cannot be any easier.
They are SO simple, nutritious and delicious.
I hope you will try.
This recipe fed our family of 6.

WHAT YOU NEED:
2 lbs baby carrots
smidgen of garlic powder
salt/pepper
appx. 4 tablespoons olive oil
appx. 3 tablespoons honey
appx. 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
(we used triple that)


WHAT TO DO:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray baking sheet with non stick spray.
Scatter carrots, right out of the bag
onto baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil
as well as garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Roast in the oven for appx. 20 minutes.
Remove and stir well, then drizzle with
2 tablespoons olive oil, the honey and balsamic vinegar.
Stir well and pop them back into the oven
for about 5 minutes and they are ready to serve.

These carrots are still a little bit crunchy,
are roasted to perfection and are absolutely scrumptious.

I hope you'll make them soon!
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers