Saturday, March 3, 2012

The best brownies EVER!


This has been one of those brownie kinds of weeks.
(Especially after the fact that I mistakenly posted this to the wrong blog.)
In fact, at a routine doctor visit the other day, 
where I mentioned possibly being a tad 'hormonal'
(and who isn't by the way?!)
. . .she, THE DOCTOR, told me to eat dark chocolate!
HA! I LOVE IT!
My doctor TOLD me to eat dark chocolate
whenever I felt sad, depressed, crabby or grouchy!
I mean, I had heard long ago that chocolate had
things in it to help those other 'things' in your brain...
but it was definitely a first to hear my doctor say EAT CHOCOLATE!
So that pretty much means I should have 
some chocolate on hand EVERYDAY!  Hooray!!!

So, if you've had a brownie kind of week,
THIS is the perfect recipe for you!
This recipe came from Amy's Bread in New York City.
A bakery that is reportedly the best in NYC.


I stumbled upon this recipe 4 or 5 years ago 
and I don't even know how I did that.
But, as one who has always searched for a great homemade brownie recipe
and has ALWAYS been disappointed at every attempt. . . .
I was almost hesitant in trying these. . .but, WOW, am I glad I didn't hesitate.
They are THE best brownies I have ever had!
As of a year and a half ago, these jewels sold for $3.50 a piece. 
They are easily worth $5.00 ;) ha.

INGREDIENTS:
3 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (20 oz)
(almost 2 bags of chips)
3 oz.  unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 3/4 cups chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)

WHAT TO DO:
Preheat oven to 350.
Butter and line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
I butter my dish (to keep the paper from moving)
then lay a piece of parchment paper on top and butter again. 
(you can buy parchment paper in a roll on the saran wrap aisle)

In a microwavable bowl or large measuring cup,
place your butter, unsweetened chocolate and HALF
of your chocolate chips. . .melt in your microwave.
Stirring after 30 second - 1 minute intervals -
remember, the chocolate will continue to melt
after it's removed from the microwave
so you don't need to cook it to death.
Set the melted chocolate mixture aside to cool down.

In a separate medium size bowl,
whisk together your eggs, sugar and vanilla -
Do not over stir - this will cause crumbly brownies, set aside.

In another separate medium size bowl,
dump your remaining dry ingredients.

Once your chocolate mixture has cooled down,
fold it into the sugar/egg mixture -
resist the urge to over-mix.

Now, whisk your dry ingredients into the
chocolate/sugar combined mixture.
Whisk until barely combined -
 stir in remaining chocolate chips, do not over-mix.

Pour mixture into prepared baking dish,
spread evenly and bake for 32-36 minutes.
The edges will be firm and the center will be soft.
Cool completely as there is alot of chocolate in these.
If you need to speed up the process, refrigerate them before slicing.
And remember, plastic knives cut brownies the best!

Yield: appx. 15 good size brownies



ENJOY!!!! (doctor's orders)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers